Saturday, July 3, 2010

Allergy-free cooking

I have discovered a brand new cookbook!  It's my new favorite!  Cybele Pascal is the author of The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook and The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook.  I just made the most amazing coffee cake for dessert last night: "Blueberry Boy Bait!"  It was ab-fab!  I substituted Bob's Red Mill brand Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour for the flour mixture that is recommended in the book, and it was delicious, although I am sure the recommended mix would be just as good if not better.  OMG it was GOOD!  I can't wait to try the other recipes!  The book has recipes for Red Velvet Cake as well as other cakes, breads (sandwich and dessert breads), cookies, brownies, tarts, and so on...  Her son has food allergies, so she went on a mission to develop safe recipes and create a cookbook as no others were available to her when she started out on her journey with allergies. 

Earlier in the day I had made a fresh loaf of bread for my son with Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free "Homemade Wonderful Bread Mix" (yes, that's what it's called).  It is also really delicious!  He hasn't officially done a food trial of the new flours in these mixes, but I'm crossing my fingers that they'll be safe for him.  Bob's mixes use garbanzo bean and fava flours, mixed with other ingredients that we already know are safe.  We're on a food trial break right now and are trying to increase his intake of safe foods to minimize the enteral feedings.  We'll be meeting with his team at CHOP this month to discuss our plan of action.  I have a plan, but need to make sure they're in agreement with it.

Anyway, you can use the links provided in this blog entry to find the cookbook and flours I used.  I HIGHLY recommend the cookbook if you are dealing with any food allergies or celiac.  It's the best I've found, and I have already purchased many!

No comments:

Post a Comment