Saturday, July 10, 2010

First Experiment with Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix

I decided to try to make a pizza for the whole family last night. I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix and substituted flaxseed meal and water for eggs, as directed on the package. The result was better than I had imagined! The crust was light and airy, not hard and "crusty". It was AWESOME, not to mention very healthy! I used olive oil, fresh minced garlic, Contadina Pizza Sauce (1 can), Hormel Turkey Pepperoni on one side and Trader Joe's Fire Roasted Red and Yellow Peppers along with a fresh sliced tomato on the other side. I topped it off with a little Daiya shredded mozzarella flavored "cheese" (you don't need much as the flavor is rather strong) and All Natural Frontier Pizza Seasoning. The picture above was taken before it was cooked, but the finished product is pictured below.  Dad and I LOVED our half. The kids enjoyed all but the garlic (whose kids are these????)! So, mental note for next time: only put the fresh garlic on the adults' half! Otherwise, it was a big hit! Dad and I devoured our slices and while it was probably more satisfying than regular pizza, I could have easily eaten a third slice. :-) I have 2 other pizza sauces to try, and even though Contadina has corn syrup (not the healthiest thing), it may be the one we choose in the future just based upon flavor. I'll update here when I've tried the others.


I've included photos of the process (after actually working the dough into a pizza crust shape on the pan. However, in the last one (at the bottom),which was after it was fully cooked, I forgot to take the Daiya back out of the fridge for the picture showing all of the ingredients I used.


For anyone who wants to try this mix, I do recommend it. I may try to add a little tarragon in the future, to make it taste a little like the crust at Peace Pizza (they have delicious and unique pizzas). I could easily get creative, but I have to consider what the kids will eat.  Happy pizza making!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment